FOR THE CUPCAKES:
1 box white cake mix
3 large eggs
1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup milk
FOR THE SOAK:
1 cup cold espresso or bold coffee
1/4 cup coffee liqueur (optional)
FOR THE FILLING AND FROSTING:
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
6 tbsp. Baileys Espresso Crème
4 cups powdered sugar
4 sticks butter, room temperature
espresso powder or unsweetened cocoa (optional)
chocolate covered espresso beans (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and add 24 liners to your cupcake tins.
- Using a paddle attachment or traditional beaters, combine cake mix, eggs, butter, and milk.
- Fill cupcake liners halfway full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool 2-3 minutes in pan, then move to rack to cool completely.
- Using a paddle attachment or traditional beaters, beat butter until smooth. Add 2 cups powdered sugar and 2 tbsp Baileys
and mix until smooth. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and another 2 tbsp of Baileys and mix until smooth. Fold in the mascarpone cheese. Add the remaining cup of powdered sugar and the remaining 2 tbsp of Baileys and mix just until smooth.
- Using a cupcake corer, carefully remove the center of each cupcake while keeping the cores intact and setting them aside. Add 1/2 tsp of your soak to the center of each cupcake. Using a piping bag with a circular tip, fill about half of each cavity with your mascarpone mixture.
- Using your cold espresso (mixed with optional coffee liqueur), spoon the liquid over the removed cores one at a time until decently saturated, then stuff each soaked core back into the center of each cupcake.
- Frost each cupcake with your favorite piping tip. Dust or sprinkle with espresso powder (or cocoa) and top with chocolate-covered espresso beans.